Make your own free website on

Meeting Mike

Here's how it all started! I was hanging out in an IRC (internet relay chat) room.. and met a woman from Australia named Kazza1. (She is a psychic.) She told me that before the year was over I'd meet a man named Michael. I thought "ok"... and partly just took it with a grain of salt. I had come to terms with living by myself and was content with my new life.

About five or six months had gone by, when I was in a different IRC room & I noticed a new guy named Mikester start coming in. I raised my mental eyebrows at the name. Over a week's time, I watched him come & go. He was always very quiet.. but he liked grabbing the wav files I was playing & he was choosing some of my favorite songs. I also had noticed he was from Detroit, which is a couple hours away from me.

A couple times I would mention in the room that a psychic had predicted I'd meet a man named Michael, but he didn't respond. (I found out later he wasn't really paying attention to what was being said in my channel because he was talking in another one.)

Then, one day he saw me say it.. and we started talking. A phone call was next. I liked him right away. It seemed we had so much in common.. and he was such a gentleman. He apparently liked me, too, because after talking online for only two weeks, he said he wanted to meet me.. to see if we got along as well in person. I agreed and the date was set for the upcoming weekend -- Saturday, September 9, 2000.

Our first date was to be for lunch. I was a nervous wreck waiting for him to get here. (I had met a couple guys from online before with not very good results.) He got detoured on the Interstate and got here an hour late and by the time he got here I was way too nervous to eat, so we drove to a Park to get acquainted. We sat on a bench by the river & talked, then we walked a bit.

It was a really hot & humid day, so we ended up coming back to my air-conditioned apartment to continue getting to know each other. I think it was around 5 or 6:00 that we finally went to McDonald's to grab some food. We took it to another pretty place I knew of with a small lake & ducks. (Before you laugh at our first date being McD.. remember I have trouble going into places.)

By the time we got back to my apartment, it was dark & getting kind of late... and well.. I thought he shouldn't drive all the way back to Detroit.. He went home the next morning. (lalalala..) We got engaged three weeks later.

Note: I didn't feed him *lunch* for the first few weeks or so. Since our first date was to be for lunch, I thought if I fed it to him he might not come back ;)

He has driven here 2 1/2 hours each way every weekend since, to be with me. It's been almost a year & a half now.. and things just keep getting better all the time. The worse part for us is the time apart, but for now, we can't see a way to be together.. either here in Grand Rapids, or in Detroit.

Return to my About Me page